To re-incorporate and register 10,000 or more Ukrainian churches by December 31 so that they will comply with a new Ukrainian law, and thereby prevent possible seizure of church assets.
- We have created the Christian Legal Center (CLC) to re-register churches at 10% of the normal legal cost.
- We plan to use many of the 250 members of the Christian Legal Society to staff the CLC.
- Market the CLC quickly through existing contacts with church unions and 7,000 churches.
- The CLC will be sustainable by providing beneficial services for an annual membership fee.
- The database of church contacts will be extremely useful for surveys and other projects.
- An estimated 34,000 churches and 275,000 NGOs need to register.
- This is not persecution, but needed reform, as many churches are not properly registered.
- On September 16, the Ukrainian Tax Office is notifying churches to re-register..
- The general thought is that the churches will “panic”, but with CLC they will have “relief”.
- No other organization is preparing to provide this service to churches.
- The first priority is the churches. All 275,000 NGOs must be registered. They could pay full rate.
Christian Legal Center staff CLC Office
- Two church unions with about 9,000 member churches are on board.
- An office for the CLC has been rented and 3 lawyers hired.
- $7,500 has been donated as an initial contribution.
- Each church paying 10,000 Hryvnia ($40) will cover a year operations.
- One lawyer can process 200 churches per month, so up to 18 will be needed.
- Donations are needed to cover a cash deficit of $50,000 until the clients begin paying.
We are asking for one-time donations to cover the initial setup and operating costs. These donations will allow us to provide quality required legal services to Ukrainian churches at a fraction of the normal cost, and protect the churches from their assets being confiscated. Furthermore, this will be the foundation of a sustainable organization.
Please consider helping us today!